A step-by-step guide on how to factory reset your Android phone when locked out or forgotten your password, including pros, cons, and FAQs.
What Does Factory Resetting an Android Phone Do?
Factory resetting an Android phone resets it back to its default factory settings as if you just took it out of the box for the first time.
It erases all data, settings, apps, and files on the phone and restores it to a clean slate.
When Should You Factory Reset an Android Phone?
There are a few instances when factory resetting an Android phone may be necessary:
- You forgot the lock screen password or pattern and can’t access the phone
- You’re experiencing performance issues or bugs caused by apps or software
- You want to wipe the phone before selling or giving it to someone else
How to Factory Reset an Android Phone
Via Recovery Mode
- Turn off the phone completely
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and Power button together until you see the recovery mode screen
- Use the volume buttons to scroll to “Wipe data/factory reset” and press the Power button to select it
- Scroll down to “Yes — delete all user data” and select it to confirm
- Press the Power button to reboot the phone into factory settings
Via Settings App
- Open the Settings app on your phone
- Scroll down and select System > Advanced > Reset options > Erase all data (factory reset)
- Enter your lock screen password if prompted
- Select Reset phone and then Erase everything
Pros and Cons of Factory Resetting an Android Phone
- Fixes software issues and lagging performance
- Removes any malware or viruses
- Wipes all personal data before selling or donating the phone
- Erases all your data, files, apps and settings permanently
- Doesn’t remove defects if it’s a hardware issue
- Time consuming to set up the phone from scratch again
Will I lose all my data and apps?
Yes, factory resetting will erase all apps, files, settings, accounts and personal data from the phone. Be sure to backup anything important before resetting.
Will I still be logged into my Google account after?
No, factory reset removes all accounts from the device so you’ll have to login again.
Will factory reset fix a cracked screen?
No, a factory reset only fixes software issues and resets settings. It does not resolve any physical or hardware damage.