A step-by-step guide to uninstalling the Shield launcher on Android devices in a few simple steps.
What is Shield Launcher?
Shield Launcher is a custom home screen replacement app developed by Nvidia for their Shield TV devices. It provides a customized interface and additional features specific to Shield devices.
Why Uninstall Shield Launcher?
You may want to uninstall Shield Launcher for various reasons, such as:
- Reverting back to the stock Android launcher
- Trying out different third-party launcher apps
- Fixing performance/UI issues caused by Shield Launcher
How to Uninstall Shield Launcher
Uninstalling Shield Launcher is easy and can be done in a few steps:
- Go to Settings > Apps on your Shield device.
- Scroll down and select “Shield” or “Nvidia Corporation” under app info.
- Find and tap on Shield Launcher in the app list.
- Tap “Uninstall.” Confirm by tapping “OK.”
Via ADB Commands
For advanced users, Shield Launcher can also be uninstalled using ADB commands:
- Connect Shield TV to computer via USB.
- Open command prompt/terminal and enter:
- Enter the following command:
pm uninstall --user 0 com.nvidia.shieldlauncher
Reverting to Stock Android Launcher
After uninstalling Shield Launcher, your device will default back to the stock Android TV launcher. If you want to install a different third-party launcher, you can download it from the Google Play Store.
Will I lose my home screen layout and apps?
Uninstalling Shield Launcher will not remove your apps or settings, just revert to the default Android TV interface. Your home screen customizations will be lost though.
Can I reinstall Shield Launcher later?
Yes, you can reinstall Shield Launcher anytime from the Play Store if you change your mind later.